Monday, April 1, 2013

Week of March 17: Final Reflections

For my last day, I went to CIDS, the epidemiology center and inputed all of our mapping data to start making a map of El Tololar. Although I didn't have too many points, it still helped get the project going and hopefully it will continue into the future.

My residency and global health track is coming to a close. I have overall had a great experience with the global health track. I've now traveling to Nicaragua three times with the program. The community of El Tololar is an amazing place. By the end of my time there, I fully felt like part of the community and am forever grateful to my host family. They welcomed me into their home and lives without even expecting any compensation (I did pay them an appropriate amount).

It's so refreshing how they just hang out and enjoy each other's company every single night. Kelly, my fiance, and I will come back to visit them at some point within the next couple of years. I am similarly grateful for the clinic staff and Doctora Urrutia. Their hard work clearly improves the lives of the people in the village and their patience with (at times) clueless foreigners was greatly appreciated.

Although my global health track is ending, I still have many global experiences to come. After I graduate, Kelly and I are going to get married, then take off for the better part of the year to travel around the world. Then, we will go somewhere in Central America, likely back to Nicaragua, although maybe a different part of the country, to volunteer for a year (Kelly is in public health). There likely will be a blog for our future travels as well, although it will likely be written mostly by Kelly. Stay tuned..

No comments:

Post a Comment